Thursday, November 18, 2010

My Little Princess

It was so exciting and unexpected to have a little girl after 2 boys. Adaline is, I believe, a sweet and mild-natured girl, as evidenced by her early personality. But it is so interesting the impact 2 older brothers have on her. They bring out a wild side that she simply does not manifest in their absence. Today there were 2 little episodes that had me laughing that illustrated my point perfectly (well, they don't involve anyone acting wild in this case, though that does happen in our home most every day.)

This morning the kids had friends over (we are in year-round school and are currently tracked out.) When the other moms came to pick up their children, I looked down and there I saw my daughter dressed in her Cinderella dress-up holding a toy pistol. That's my girl!

Then, while I was heating up dinner, the kids were playing in the kitchen. Adaline had her doll stroller loaded up with miscellaneous toys as she typically likes to do. She was sitting on the floor pretending to feed one of her dolls a bottle. In comes Stewart and I hear her saying, "Don't kill my baby!" He ignored her pleas and shot the doll anyway. She lamented that he killed her baby and went back to feeding it. Back he comes and shoots it again. This time I am turned their direction, so I see her begin to protest again. Then I see her pause and she turns and reached into the stroller behind her and pulls out the pistol from this morning and goes back to feeding her baby. Bottle in one hand, with the pistol in the other hand, and her arm cradling the baby. She's ready to defend herself!

Now THAT is a little princess with older brothers!

1 comment:

  1. I can see it in my mind's eye - so typical of the creativity of children. Love it!

    ReplyDelete